By Kyle Patterson
The game BREAKAWAY, created at the Emergent Media Center at Champlain College,
is currently raising funds to sponsor a trip to El Salvador to continue the BREAKAWAY
initiative! By donating to BREAKAWAY our team can establish a self-sustaining
BREAKAWAY camp model in El Salvador in 2014 that will continue to create change year
Join The Emergent Media Center at Champlain College for a night out at one of
Burlington’s most popular eateries. Burlington’s own Bluebird BBQ will host
a community night October 22 at 5:00 pm – 9:30 pm to raise funds for BREAKAWAY
Fundraiser. 10% of the cost of your dinner will go to BREAKAWAY. Please call Bluebird
BBQ to reserve a seat and tell them you are supporting the BREAKAWAY fundraiser at
(802) 448-3070 or visit BluebirdBBQ.com.
BREAKAWAY is a free, online interactive, soccer videogame designed to educate youth
worldwide about the issue of Violence Against Women and Girls. Since 2010, the game
has been translated into four languages and has been played in over 140 countries.
- Funds will go towards allowing a BREAKAWAY team member or student:
- A night’s stay in El Salvador: $58.00
- Food for a day: $15.30
- Airfare: $1,100.00
- As well as Tshirts for our El Salvador Facilitators. Cost: 4550 Tshirts at $12.50 each for $625.00
- Sponsor the team’s translator. The translator works with the EMC at official ceremonies such as our granting of certificates and in news and media broadcasts. Cost: $30/hour
- Sponsor the materials for the camp such as certificates, name badges, markers, and soccer balls! Cost: $140.00
- Sponsor the printing of a Breakaway Facilitator Guide to be left with the Facilitators in El Salvador to incorporate into their classes and camps: $175.00
Donate to our fundraising campaign here!
Clicking in this link will bring you to the secure Champlain College donation page and
directly to the Emergent Media Center and Supporting the BREAKAWAY Project.